05 July 2010

Coolness


I've been sick for four or five days now, with an off-again, on-again sore throat.  This ad by Tylenol pretty much sums up my lifelong remedy of choice for sore throats - but I don't need any medicine doped in my Popsicle, thank you.  Popsicles are medicine. They work far better than any cough drop, they feel like a treat so they pull you out of sickie depressions, they come in sugarless varieties so you don't have to worry about sugar killing all your white blood cells, they come in  fun shapes, they're cheerful, they're colourful, they last a fairly long time so they're a guaranteed five to ten minutes of pain-free distraction, and they're cheap!

My Aunt Eleanor made the best grape popsicles.   All the grownups in my world made their posicles out of kool-aid, but for some reason her's tasted extra vibrant. It took me years to develop a recipe that approximated hers.  I think her secret was that she must have doubled the kool-aid packages without doubling the sugar, and maybe one of her packages was grape and the other was lemonade?  Not quite hers but very close.  And sometimes when I want an extra kick I do two grapes to one lemonade. That last slurp is a doozy.

I've been looking online for fun ice pop molds, (not that there's anything wrong with the traditional paper cup ones!)  These Hog Wild Zoo Pops are pretty cool in a Jumanji sort of way.  I bet they don't look this intricate and etched when regular people make them though...  (What!? No truth in advertising you say?)

These Swirly Popsicle molds by Orka are all that and a bag of chips.  They're lickable unfilled!

These Yellow Groovy Ice Molds by Tovolo are understated, but I think they'd look really good made into:

Easy, Creamy, Lemon Dream Popsicles (via Whipped)
2/3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1 pinch salt
1 2/3 cup buttermilk


Whisk sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt in 4-cup measuring cup until sugar dissolves. Whisk in buttermilk.
Divide mixture among ice pop molds. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 5 days.





If you find these Sailsicles by Cuisipro anywhere let me know!  They were all the rage two years ago but now I can't find them anywhere :(



2 comments:

The Wild Life Preserver said...

That Easy,Creamy,Lemon Dream Popcycle recipe is a great present!
I can't wait to make them! I never would have thought of it before.
Thanks! Love to you all!

Unknown said...

Sailsicle is at boatmodo.com